Upgrades and Discounts
How does your licensing work?
As detailed on our Licensing Page, we operate on a traditional perpetual license mechanism – not a cloud one which the vast majority of our clients have stated their disapproval of.
Each plug-in license is a one time license however, inevitably as software changes over the years and newer technology becomes available, there are occasional upgrades to plug-ins.
Will I receive a discount for my upgrade?
We typically also offer a special one month grace period for customers who have only just purchased a product which received a major version upgrade. These customers receive a complimentary license to the new version at no cost.
If a customer already has the plug-in being upgraded, then they are – for a period of time – given the opportunity to purchase the upgrade at a discounted fee.
Customers who choose to remain on the Astute Graphics emailing list receive full notification of the discount opportunity along with information of expiry. The discounts are also found in the coupon section of the account page, and are typically also posted on our website and social media.
Due however, to major new tools, and the time and work put in by our engineers and training team in the development, it is necessary that we have a cut off point for these discounts and their eligibility.
When Adobe released Illustrator CC2019 recently, as with the release of CC2018 we released our upgraded Unified Installer to accommodate the update and ensure compatibility with CC2019. This was a free upgrade. However, there are occasions when an upgrade will have a fee.
For reference, the following guidance may be of assistance:
Major product customer discounts since August 2014:
- VectorScribe v2 (October 2013): £19 (customers upgrading from VectorScribe Studio v1 – price difference between v1 and v2)
- WidthScribe v2 (October 2014): from £20 (customers upgrading from WidthScribe v1 – price difference between v1 and v2)
- ColliderScribe v2 (June 2015): from £15 (customers upgrading from ColliderScribe v1 – price difference between v1 and v2)
- VectorScribe v3 (October 2016): from £15 (customers upgrading from VectorScribe v2 – price difference between v2 and v3)
- DynamicSketch v2 (June 2017): from £14 (customers upgrading from DynamicSketch v1 – price difference between v1 and v2)
- Phantasm v4 (18 April 2018): from £20.70 (customers upgrading from Phantasm v3 – price difference between v3 and v4)
As per usual, discounted upgrades will be available for 1 month from the release of Phantasm v4. If you already have a previous Phantasm version, please ensure that you are logged into your customer account when purchasing to claim your Phantasm v4 discount coupon.
- VectorFirstAid v2 (26 September 2018): from £23.60 (customers upgrading from VectorFirstAid v2 – price difference between v1 and v2).
- SubScribe v2 (12th February 2019): from £10 (customers upgrading from SubScribe v1 – price difference between v1 and v2)
As per usual, discounted upgrades will be available for 1 month from the release of SubScribe v2. If you previously paid for your SubScribe v1 license, please ensure that you are logged into your customer account when purchasing to claim your SubScribe v2 discount coupon.
Do you offer any free upgrades and resources?
There have been hundreds of free resources and point release upgrades over the years. A few examples of such are listed below:
- ColliderScribe v2.1: FREE
- DirectPrefs v1.0.4: FREE
- DynamicSketch v2 Vector Brush Set: FREE
- DynamicSketch v2.1: FREE
- InkScribe v1.7.1: FREE
- MirrorMe v1.3: FREE
- Texturino v1.1, v1.2 and v1.3: FREE
- Texturino Pro Texture Packs
- VectorFirstAid 1.2 and v1.1.3: FREE
- VectorScribe v3.1.3: FREE
- SubScribe v1.3.4: FREE
Each of these major point releases have added important functionality.
Free maintained plug-in releases:
Each of these fully-featured plug-ins are compatible with the latest releases of Adobe Illustrator and offer important workflow-enhancing functionality for Adobe Illustrator users. No charge is made for these tools.
Additionally, we offer a wide range of free learning resources:
- Video tutorials
- 100's of extensive written tutorials
- Live Pop-up Webinars (later available as recordings): see our social media (Facebook / Twitter / Instagram) and mailing list for notification of these.
Will I be required to pay when Adobe, Apple or Microsoft introduce updates?
As Astute Graphics can not determine the level of changes Adobe, Apple or Microsoft will be introducing in the future, it is more indicative to provide costs per license to our customers over the past few years:
Adobe Illustrator updates:
- Illustrator CS6 (November 2012)*: £19 per license
- Illustrator CC (v17): FREE
- Illustrator CC2014 (v18): FREE
- Illustrator CC2015 (v19): FREE
- Illustrator CC2015.3 (v20): FREE
- Illustrator CC2017 (v21): FREE
- Illustrator CC2018 (v22): FREE
- Illustrator CC2019 (v23): FREE
*This update cost was necessary due to first all-encompassing internal changes made to Illustrator – the first time in 25 years of that product's development. It made necessary a full year of development by Astute Graphics to ensure future compatibility.
Operating system updates:
- Mac OS 10.8, 10.9, 10.10, 10.11 and 10.12: FREE
- Windows 7, 8 and 10: FREE
All OS updates were free for all latest version product licenses.
If you have any questions at all please don't hesitate to get in touch.